Whether you like winter or favor the warmer months in Carson City, many of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a large impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it should be replaced. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can fix temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. An expert at Anderson Heating & A/C can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Anderson Heating & A/C in Carson City a call to get started. Contact our team at 775-230-7628 or schedule an appointment with us online.