Spring is in the air here in Carson City and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Anderson Heating & A/C team has some helpful advice that will assist in keeping your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home appear as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to coincide with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your amazing trip on social media, but try to wait until after you make it home to post photos of your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as excited about the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it more effortless than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to conserve energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to discuss additional energy saving tips, give Anderson Heating & A/C in Carson City a call at 775-230-7628.