According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or pet hair?
5. Have pests or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to reach out to Anderson Heating & A/C in Carson City about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Anderson Heating & A/C. Annual evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Examining your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts open.
More ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and change them when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Carson City home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning regularly. Call the experts at Anderson Heating & A/C at 775-230-7628 or arrange an appointment online.